MCU Deaths or Lack There Of
(WARNING: This contains SPOILERS. Important spoilers after the jump. I do not consider G.I. Joe: Retaliation important.)
I’ve read a couple of pieces about how Captain America: The Winter Soldier's heroes care about the loss of life of bystanders (and of the villains) and comparing it to the carnage of Man of Steel. I also just finished watching G.I. Joe: Retaliation, in which Duke is killed, Destro appears of be killed, Firefly is killed, numerous soldiers are killed, and ALL OF LONDON is destroyed (and never mentioned afterwards).
All this got me thinking of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and how little death there actually is. (Well, amongst named characters at least. A lot of “henchmen” are killed.) List list is mostly from memory so I may not be wholly accurate.
Just a random-y Marvel Cinematic Universe thought..
The other day I was thinking about how great Carol Danvers’ Captain Marvel would be in the MCU. And that got me wonderinghow easy it would be to bring her in without first introducing Captain Marvel (aka Mar-Vell). So I did some reading.
Knowing full well that no one who has any influence reads me, here would be my wish on how to play it out:
There is probably no room to give her a full movie in Phase 3. It is already looking pretty packed. But perhaps quickly introducing un-powered Carol Danvers in one of the Phase 3 movies (either in a quick cameo like Hawkeye in Thor or in a larger part like Black Widow in Iron Man 2). Then give her a solid support roll in Avengers 3. Something like the face we see on the normal human military fighting the huge threat (Thanos doing his thing). In the “big fight” she take on, by herself, a side support villain… extra powered alien soldier guy. (Probably still just a Chitauri since introducing a whole other race in the Kree might be too much. But who knows. Maybe Thanos brings along a bunch of aliens races in his conquest for Everything.
Anywhozits, Captain Danvers fights over-powered-alien-whomever. Defeats him but in doing so is caught in explosion (probably some Infinity Gem-enhanced explosion). Oh no! Carol Danvers is dead!
No she’s not. But we are all set up to bring her into her own movie in post-Phase 3, and with minimal origin story crap. And she, as Captain Marvel, gets to play in the post-Avengers 3 world. Which should give her story some breathing room to not have to deal with the Avengers 1-3 arc.
Yes. This post is the absolute worst of nerd wishlist/theorizing crap. I apologize. I just really liked Captain America 2.
Aries: This week, your own world is going fall into some kind of strange orbit around you; this week, everything’s going to work out the way you need it to. Every single thing is going to be okay. Try to believe this, try to let it move you, try to let it light your way. This week you can be daring, you can be weird, you can be your best self. Spend your days with the people who believe in your magic even more than you do. Spend your days outside; spend your days with the windows open.
Gonna double down on this week.
Things going on in this Starbucks (Steinway between Broadway & 31st)
• An awesome 80’s mix.
• Man loudly explaining that Catholic priests are all pedophiles, homosexuals and necrophiliacs. He is very positive on this subject. When someone points out that this isn’t true and that he seems “filled with hate,” he responds, “I don’t hate anyone.”
• A man is being trained by another man how to make sales calls for what is so obviously a pyramid scam. The trainer uses the phrase “Worse comes to worse” at the start of every other sentence, regardless if it makes sense,
• Woman is repeatedly watching a video how to download Vimeo videos. The sound is turned very high and she has no headphones.
• A clean cut man with a very nice briefcase spent 15 minutes replacing the batteries on his Discman. He put on his headphones, laid down on a bench (inside this Starbucks), and appears to have fallen asleep. He has rolled onto his side, facing the wall. Assorted batteries are scattered around him and are rolling onto the floor.
• Older woman (70s at least) is doing crosswords in a large crossword book. Three times she has carefully put down her pen and quietly said to herself, “Fuck him.”
• A young woman’s phone keeps ringing. Each time she picks it up off the table, looks at the screen and puts it down again, without answering or silencing it.
• A young man asked me to watch his computer. “I don’t know the neighborhood” he tells me at least three time.
• Woman in sweats works on her computer, surrounded by at twenty or so crumbled up napkins (on the table, the bench, opposite chair, the floor). I didn’t see how this happened. See keeps giving suspicious side ward glances at he man next to her. He appears to be practicing slight of hand with a deck of cards.
• An employee woke up sleeping Discman man. “You can’t sleep here. You have to get up.” He tries to wave her off with on hand. “I know, I know. In just a few minutes.” “No. You have to get up.” “I…am sick.” The employee takes this in stride. She instantly becomes sympathetic. “Do you need me to call an ambulance.” “Yes. I think so.” She goes to call. He sits up. And now the man with the cards is doing magic trick for Discman man.
• A woman is gently rubbing a man’s crotch area with her foot under a table. Perhaps they think this is secret but these are small Starbucks tables and we can all see.